As your Mayor, I have worked hard to:
IMPROVE PUBLIC SAFETY:
- Worked hard to keep our community safe and informed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Increased funding for both police and fire services.
- Increased funding for our maintenance department to decrease waste and trash accumulation.
IMPROVE CITY FINANCES:
- Balanced The city’s budget every year and increased financial reserves (savings) significantly.
- Obtained low state and federal low-interest loans (0.9%) for our wastewater treatment facility, saving our community between $80 and $100 million in debt payments.
- Implementing further plans to reduce our city’s pension costs.
REPAIR AND MODERNIZE OUR INFRASTRUCTURE:
- Expect completion of our wastewater treatment facility’s initial operations by October 2022 meeting State Water Board mandates.
- Budgeted over $2 million for other water, sewer, and stormwater projects in the fiscal year 2022–23.
- Budgeted increased funding for paving our streets to $3 million in the fiscal year 2022–23.
- Approved to receive a $600,000 grant to improve our Parks. (Coleman beach grant)
- Approved to receive $14.3 million in state and federal grants for our wastewater treatment facility.
PRESERVE OUR WAY OF LIFE:
- Adopted the city’s General Plan that will help us prepare for the impacts of climate change.
- Supported local small businesses and non-profits through the pandemic.
- Continued/improved a utility discount program for qualifying residents and supported a rent control ordinance for our mobile home parks.
- Continued to provide top-notch recreation and enrichment services to kids, adults, and seniors year-round.
STRENGTHEN OUR ECONOMY:
QUICKLY activated our emergency financial crisis plan during the COVID-19 pandemic preventing significant city financial losses
SUPPORTED the approval of a 31-unit, 100% affordable housing development near Highway 1/41.
CONTINUED to advocate for the appropriate development of offshore wind green energy resources.
APPROVED the implementation of a pilot parking management plan for paid parking along the Embarcadero.
WORKED with and supported several business improvement initiatives recommended by the Chamber of Commerce.
CONTINUING to work with Vistra Energy company to consider re-development of the (former Dynegy) plant site.